Ms. Joey C. Soto, M.S.
Ms. Soto has over 10 years of experience in the civil engineering industry providing water resource planning, management, and funding services as demonstrated below.
Independent Consultant, Soto Resources
Los Angeles & Orange County, CA
Grant Services and Project Management
- Providing watershed planning, project development, and grant services to the County of Orange Watersheds Division, for Prop 50, 84 & 1E grants. Assisting with regional project prioritization, refining project scope, budget, schedule, and technical review for priority projects. Coordinating environmental and civil engineering project components.
- Providing grant administration services to Santa Margarita Water District for Gobernadora Multi-Purpose Basin Project and the Emergency Interconnections projects. Services include managing Prop 50, 84, & 1E grant agreements, reviewing contract documents, administering resolutions, facilitating land appraisal, as well as revising work plan, budget, and schedule. Serving as project contact for state project managers to track project progress.
- Preparing Prop 1E Grant application for South Orange County Wastewater Authority’s Sulphur and Aliso Creek Stabilization Project. Grant request: $1.5 million. Coordinating with project partners to develop environmental permitting process in compliance with CEQA requirements.
- Project managed SWRCB Clean Water State Revolving Fund Expanded Use Program Loan Application for the Gobernadora Multi-Purpose Stormwater Basin Project with Rancho Mission Viejo, LLC and Santa Margarita Water District.
- Prepared DWR Prop 1E IRWM Stormwater and Flood Management Grant Application for Gobernadora Multi-Purpose Basin Project in coordination with Rancho Mission Viejo, LLC and Santa Margarita Water District. Awarded $5 million. Also provided Prop 1E Grant Review for OC Flood Control District’s Haster Retarding Basin and Pump Station Basin Stormwater Project. Awarded $15,667,100.
- Prepared and submitted South Orange County’s Prop 84 IRWM Implementation Grant Application on behalf of the County of Orange, City of Laguna Beach, Trabuco Canyon Water District, and Municipal Water District of Orange County for three projects. Awarded $2.6 million under DWR’s Prop 84.
Los Angeles, CA
Water Resources Planner and Grant Writer
- Developed Integrated Regional Water Management Plan in compliance with California Propositions 84 & 1E for the County of Orange and 26 South Orange County agencies. The plan was awarded $450,000 under DWR’s Prop 84 IRWM Program.
- Assisted with program management of multi-benefit stormwater projects for the City of Los Angeles’ $500 million Proposition O (Prop O) Bond Program. Projects included evaluation and implementation of stormwater best management practices (BMPs) such as constructed wetlands, infiltration basins, grass swales, retention/detention basins, sunken medians/tree wells, low flow diversion systems, and water treatment and/or reuse systems.
- Prepared Prop O pre-design reports and other written documents to support design and construction phases.
- Oversaw compliance with environmental permitting and water policy for project implementation.
- Served as Prop O liaison providing regular correspondence between the City of LA and consultants, contractors, and public officials. Provided weekly tracking and project progress reports directly to project managers.
- Supervised community outreach for Prop O project milestones, including development of large exhibit boards, newspaper advertisements, community flyers, public announcements, and coordinating translation.
- Monitored $9 million of Prop O contractual fees for compliance with city requirements. Represented City of LA in coordination with regulatory agencies, planning agencies, stakeholders, technical groups, and contractors.
West Los Angeles, CA
Water Quality Analyst
- Analyzed state and regional surface water quality policy for new development and redevelopment projects.
- Developed comprehensive surface water quality management plans for the following: The Santa Monica Airport, Santa Anita Race Track, Lennar Communities Master Planned Communities, Malibu Lagoon, Compton Creek, and the Strathern Pit Landfill in the City of Los Angeles.
Costa Mesa, CA
Water Resources Analyst and Grant Writer
- Developed the South Orange County Integrated Regional Watershed Management (IRWM) group and a 25 year plan by coordinating with 26 municipalities, public officials, and community stakeholders. Obtained a $25 million grant award under Prop 50 from the state for projects in the IRWM region, of which $2.5 million went to SMWD’s Gobernadora Project.
- Worked closely with water districts to complete over 20 urban water management plans and water supply assessments.
- Developed first desalination policy spreadsheet that outlined required state water quality permits for proposed desalination project in coordination with Municipal Water District of Orange County.
- Completed legislative analysis for funding applications for public agencies, including the CA Healthy Communities Grant ($5.1 million), Los Angeles County Department of Public Works 3-year contract ($300K), CA Department of Health Services ($500K).
- Prepared 3 California Department of Parks and Recreation Grants for the City of Bell for the following multi-benefit projects: 1) A new 4.4-acre multi-use sports complex – Grant Value: $10.7 million; 2) A new 5-acre community library/performing arts facility – Grant Value: $28.6 million; 3) A new soccer field – Grant Value: $1.8 million.
City of Santa Barbara Public Works Department
Santa Barbara, CA
Environmental Programs Coordinator
- Coordinated environmental education program for public schools and community organizations. Developed lesson plans for environmental education issues, including water conservation and water quality issues in Santa Barbara.
- Executed public speaking engagements for teachers and students focusing on local and statewide water conservation and water pollution issues.
California Coastal Commission
Environmental Enforcement Assistant
- Investigated water quality violations of 1976 California Coastal Act by documenting violations and filing state reports.
- Completed 60 case files throughout the Ventura regional district.
EDUCATION AND RELATED SKILLS
California State University, Fullerton, Master of Science in Environmental Policy and Planning 2007
University of California, Santa Barbara, Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies 2002
Computer Expertise: Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat.
AWARDS AND PUBLICATIONS
- CSUF Thesis Project Published Report 2006-2007
- The Clean Bay Restaurant Certification Program: Are City of Manhattan Beach Restaurants Seeing Green?
- Step Up Women’s Network Volunteer Appreciation Award 2005-2006
- The Law & Society Review, UCSB Author, Hearst Case: A Dispute Turned Negotiation 2001-2002
- Environmental Studies Department, UCSB Academic Achievement Award 2001-2002
- Santa Barbara County Bar Foundation First Place Award: Hearst Case: A Dispute Turned Negotiation 2002